Monday, February 21, 2011

The Smithsonian is a Total Nerd.

The Smithsonian rocks my socks.

It was founded in 1846 and is currently the largest and most extensive museum and research facility.

Just when I thought the Smithsonian wasn't nerdy enough, they got so much nerdier.

The Smithsonian Institute is opening a new exhibit called The Art of Video Games in which they will display games throughout the past 4 decades and the histories behind each game. Now, in our modern age, we have a chance to take part in an exhibit that relates very closely to my generation's childhood (and a few of the generations before me).


How long have you been a fan of video games? Since 2010? 2000? 1990? 1980? 1970?

Well, well well, then just head over to The Art of Video Games and cast your vote on which games should be inducted into the exhibit.


The Smithsonian states that the exhibit will open on March 16th, 2012, and will close on September 30th, 2012. No word on when the voting ends so do it now or forever hold your peace.


I've always wanted to go to the Smithsonian (I am a fan of Bones), looks like I need to start planning my trip for 2012.



-uglyrikki

6 comments:

  1. Nice blog, I found you from your link on 20SB. The only thing I can see that bothers me is that it is difficult to read the white writing sometimes, especially with the white in the background. Other than that, great job!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the advice, I'll play around with the colors and see what works better!


    - uglyrikki

    ReplyDelete
  3. I know, I was so excited when I found out about the exhibit, especially since I can vote for some of my favorite games to be displayed! It makes me especially happy since there have been some high profile arguments against video games as art, so this feels like one significant victory.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I completely agree, and I think it's appropriate that an exhibit on a type of technology is using technology to complete it.

    ReplyDelete
  5. AGREED. Videogames can be art. much like comics. it all depends on the example. and the mind experiencing them.

    ReplyDelete